Thursday, April 3, 2008

Greg

Dear Greg,

I don't think we've ever met, but I remember seeing you at Carrie and Phil's wedding.  I'm Carrie's cousin.

In college, I was a philosophy major and spent a lot of time thinking about life in ways I had never thought about it before.  This deep questioning and probing of issues I had always taken at face value was fascinating, but often times depressing.  Life looked different, and I frequently asked myself "what's the point?"

I have not really answered that question in the broad sense (no one can, I don't think), but I have spent a lot of time thinking about what the point is for *me*.  And it comes down to my sensory experiences of life.  I get immense pleasure from so many of the following things, and I hope you can latch on to some of these, too.  They may sound cliche or trite, but if you think about them beyond the words themselves, they hold great significance and have helped me through very difficult times.

-the smell of fresh cut grass, baking banana bread, and rain
-the sound of an acoustic guitar, a well-trained choir, and the woods of Vermont
-the feel of clean socks on my feet, a hot shower, and a strong hug
-the taste of good wine, cheap wine, peanut butter, and chocolate
-the sight of new places, dogs, and dear friends and family.

Carrie, Phil, and the rest of your family and friends are desperately hoping you will survive this illness.  I hope some of these will help you remember what you find meaningful, and that you will decide they are worth fighting for.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Sara


--
Sara Willis
Development Chair
Boston Choral Ensemble
www.BostonChoral.org
____________________
Join us during our 2007-2008 season

A Peaceable Kingdom, 5/30/08 & 6/1/08 :: With Randall Thompson's The Peaceable Kingdom at the core, the concert explores both war and peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home