Thursday, April 3, 2008

"Loving Kindess" Meditation

Below, I've written out instructions for doing a simple Buddhist meditation called 'metta' or 'lovingkindness.'

It was taught to me by my roommate Elaine, who has been doing this for Greg since he became ill. If you want to send love to Greg but squick at the thought of God, this might be for you.
Of course, you can believe and God and do this as well.

I love you all and miss you terribly,
Terri

DOING META

This is a practice that can take as long or as short a time as you have.
Usually each section runs about 5 minutes, but there are no hard and fast rules.
Take the time you need, and be gentle with yourself throughout.


SECTION 1: YOURSELF

In the first section of this practice, you think about yourself (always start with yourself in meta)
As you do, say the following words to yourself with deep intention:

May I be well
May I be happy
May I have ease of well being

SECTION 2: AN 'EASY' PERSON

In the second section of practice, you think of someone whom it is easy to love.
I have been thinking of Greg, and Frankie

May Greg be well
May Greg be happy
May Greg have ease of well being

May Frankie be well
May Frankie be happy
May Frankie have ease of well being


SECTION 3: A 'NEUTRAL' PERSON

The third section of the practice requires you to think on a 'neutral' person in your life.
This is someone who you know, but not particuarly well.
I have been using Hilary, Frankie's mom.
You may want to use Dr. Rosa, or one of the nurses, or someone else in the waiting room.

May Dr. Rosa be well
May Dr. Rosa be happy
May Dr. Rosa have ease of well being


SECTION 4: AN 'ENEMY'

In this section, you are to think on someone (or something) with which you feel angry.
I have chosen to think about Greg's lungs
It might sound a little goofy saying this, but if you breathe deeply while you do it, it can be a very powerful thought:

May Greg's lungs be well
May Greg's lungs be happy
May Greg's lungs have ease of well being

SECTION 5: YOUR ENVIRONMENT

In this section, you send loving intention beyond yourself, your friends and your enemies.
The focus here is on your environment and beyond.
I've been saying the following:

May everyone in the ICU be well
May everyone in the ICU be happy
May everyone in the ICU have ease of well being

May everyone in the hospital be well
May everyone in the hospital be happy
May everyone in the hospital have ease of well being

May everyone in New York be well
May everyone in New York be happy
May everyone in New York have ease of well being

May everyone in the world be well
May everyone in the world be happy
May everyone in the world have ease of well being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home